The client had a requirement for a new 24”, 5barg gas pipeline from the National Grid compressor station at Lockerley to the power station at Southampton. For the design and build of this 23.5km line, BPA worked in partnership with Fingleton White as the Client’s Technical Advisors during the detailed design, planning, construction and commissioning phases. Scope included the provision of a site project team to oversee the activities of the main works and pipeline contractors, the designers and all other project stakeholders.
– Ensuring compliance with legislation
– Design review and clarifications
– Advice on trenchless construction
– Review of validity of contract variations
– Review and comment on inspection and test plans, manufacturing procedures, QA and NDT procedures
– Monitoring of progress
– Attending factory inspections
– Health & Safety advice
The project entailed 23 road crossings, 3 river crossings, 2 rail crossings and several other pipeline crossings using multiple techniques. In addition to open cut trenches, trenchless construction comprised 25 auger bores, 2 micro tunnels and 14 HDDs, including a run of 800m.
BPA were subsequently employed to define the scope of the ongoing operation and maintenance of the pipeline. In December 2009 the 842MW CCGT power plant became fully operational.